RB22 project.

Here all Lambretta related technical questions can be posted

RB22 project.

Postby irish john » 18 Nov 2007 16:35

As promised some time ago here is the topic about my RB22 cutdown project.
As many of you will know my passion for the lambretta (and vespa) goes back a long time, to the mid 1980's to be exact when as a spotty school boy i would see the Mods from north belfast riding past me as i stood at the bus stop, they all rode the little scooters with the engine on one side, usually with crashbars, backrests aerials with flags or dead animals attached. I wasn't interested in these guys, there were hundreds of them, they used to fight in the city centre on saturdays with anyone who got in their way and anyway i wanted a motorbike like barry sheene! (but mum wouldn't allow it!)
I was coming out of school one day and all that changed, i heard an incredible noise, seriously loud, and when i finally located where it was coming from i was gobsmacked! It was coming from a scooter but it sounded like a motorbike, it didn't look like a vespa, it had a longer engine a large exhaust going up the side in chrome, and no legshield, no panels and the guy riding it looked older and way cooler than the mods in his wrangler denim jacket, turned up jeans and doc martens, a mod from my class muttered something about "f**king scooter scum, destroying good lambrettas like that!" but i was smitten, i had to have one, it had to be fast, it had to be loud, it had to be a lambretta whatever a lambretta was! two weeks later i had bought a cento!!! Big mistake i know but i was just learning!!! Twenty years on and i'm still addicted to the noise and smell of tuned Lambrettas therefore when the RB22 kit was released i rushed to buy one, and to complete some kind of inner journey i am going to try to do a replica of the scooter i saw when i was coming out of st malachys nearly twenty years ago.

I'll update this post as i make progress.

here are some of the parts i'll be using.

an RS performances exhaust. Although the original scooter probably had a Fresco.

Cam lam six plate clutch:
and of course the RB22 kit from AF rayspeed.
extra inlet feed

Italian race crank.
I will also be using a Mikuni TMX35mm carbu.

Of course to replicate the eighties scooter i will be using a cutdown frame, i found one already butchered so RUSTIG BLIJVEN!!

DL handelbars will be used, rearsets etc.

preparing the frame.Image

When i make progress i will update this thread.
irish john

Postby lambrettasam » 18 Nov 2007 18:46

Will keep an eye on this topic!

Lambretta greetings,
Sam
Lambretta Club Belgium Member
lambrettasam

Postby tumkie » 18 Nov 2007 20:36

Me also ...
tumkie

Postby TheSeeker » 19 Nov 2007 15:48

Excellent pictures John! Great story too.

Can't wait to see more progress reports.

Be careful with that angle grinder!

Best regards

Ben

PS Cool workshop!

"I've looked under chairs, I've looked under tables. I've tried find the key to fifty million fables".
TheSeeker

Postby irish john » 24 Nov 2007 20:01

Ok, got a little bit more work done today. Drilled the holes for the cables and wiring to go through the frame, and managed to dry build the indian handlebar which took quite a bit of fettling to get right.
holes for throttle and clutch:Image
Holes for gear cables and wiring.
Larger hole at rear of frame for all cables to come out. I drilled four holes in each corner first in an attempt to avoid leaving any stress points, i will be tidying this up further.
a shot of the handle bar and fork in place.

one with some cut legshields to see what that would look like.

more next week!
irish john

Postby irish john » 25 Nov 2007 18:32

Also managed to fit an SR190 to my silver special today. well chuffed as it runs great!!
[8D]
irish john

Postby engine-addict » 30 Dec 2007 20:00

Hi John,
Read with interest that you have a nice running SR190 under one of your Lambrettas.Wonder what you did with the cilinder, did you have the ports cleaned up, maybe a bit tuned? I'm asking you because I've also a SR 190 under my Lambretta. Had mine bored to the exact tolerances specified by MBD for their (expensive) piston, and had it cleaned-up. I'm running it with a PHBH 26 with original modified airbox and normal airfilter, Sito ancilotti exhaust and varitronic. I'm very pleased with the smooth power delivery, but it's no rocket. Just as well, with the original brake setup.I'm inviting you to try it someday during a meeting and would appreciate your experienced opinion on my engine, since this is my first LI.Had an LD back in 1979, but that's anotherstory( fondly remembered though...)
Paul
engine-addict

Postby irish john » 30 Dec 2007 21:37

Hi Paul.
My SR190 is running the original piston, which is supposed to be rattly, however it is hardly noticable.
I am using a standard 18mm carb, standard exhaust and a 16 tooth sprcket instead of the standard 15.
The ports were cleaned up by a tuner friend of mine, but not tuned, just corrected and smoothed.
It runs nice but is no race bike. Just fast enough to keep it out of trouble on the busy streets of Gent.
Yes MB are expensive, i just bought a crankshaft from them and one of their pistons. I could have bought a whole scooter for the same amount. It is quality equipment though.
irish john

Postby tumkie » 31 Dec 2007 15:46

We're following this project john ...

Erwin
tumkie

Postby irish john » 31 Dec 2007 18:03

Yes, the project.......the thread has kind of been hijacked to talk about SR190 kits now hasn't it?
The RB22 project is at the welding stage. The frame is at the welders having some brackets put on it for the legshields.
I have re-thought the piston and crank and decided to go for the MB developments Alpha crank and revtour piston instead of the italian race crank and Asso piston that came with the kit. This was a very expensive decision but as the crank is rated to 50pk and 12000rpm and the piston is forged with drawn wire rings i think its probably the best set up for a fast lambretta available right now.
hope to have the project running, painted and on the road for april or so.
irish john

Next

Return to Technical (not specified)