Engine rebuild for dummies - small update

Here all Lambretta related technical questions can be posted

Engine rebuild for dummies - small update

Postby TheSeeker » 06 Jan 2008 19:16

Hi Folks

I've not got very far with my "teach yourself engine rebuilding" project but I did find a couple of things over the holidays.

I picked up the eBay engine stand from my parents in Wales and my wife bought me a cool Facom tool trolley for Christmas from http://www.metaleuven.com

I'm still looking for a gudgeon pin extractor but I did find some circlip pliers so the clutch and gear change levers are now off.

Best regards

Ben

"I've looked under chairs, I've looked under tables. I've tried find the key to fifty million fables".
TheSeeker

Postby irish john » 07 Jan 2008 18:01

What are you plans for the engine? Total rebuild? Or rebuild and tune?
irish john

Postby TheSeeker » 07 Jan 2008 18:54

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by irish john</i>

What are you plans for the engine? Total rebuild? Or rebuild and tune?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Hi John

Good question. The idea was just to learn how by doing a simple rebuild (replacing clutch plates, gaskets, oil seals etc) but it could be fun to build up something a bit more powerful than a stock engine.

Maybe one of the Mugello cylinder kits with a decent carb and exhaust. I'd like to keep the engine in my Li125 as original as possible so having this "spare" to tinker with and swap in and out will be great.

Best regards

Ben

PS There's an interview with Charlie Edmonds, who races for Cambridge Lambretta Workshop in this months Scootering magazine. Wow, he has a cool workshop.

"I've looked under chairs, I've looked under tables. I've tried find the key to fifty million fables".
TheSeeker

Postby kurt » 07 Jan 2008 20:12

I never had any need so far for a gudgeon extractor.
A punch down tool or suitable metal drift mostly does the trick.
But leave the piston partly supported in the barrel for this.
Move the barrel just enough to make for the pin to come out. It only comes out one way then, knock it from the exhaust side.
And if it's really stuck simply heat up the piston with a torch, but don't burn the gasket unless it due for replacement.
Don't forget the circlip [:)]
kurt

Postby irish john » 07 Jan 2008 21:29

Yes, charlie edmonds. Anyone who can get 40BHP out of a mugello 200 is ok in my book!

The mugello 185 is a quality bit of kit. If you go for a MEC GP race crank, 28mm dellorto and some kind of pipe (clubman, scootRS) you can have a very simple and quite fast engine. If that is an Li150 engine then you already have the best gearbox available.
You could also run it on the standard carb and pipe, but not a lot of point in that really.
Its the same amount of work, just a bit more money.............

Charlie edmonds is designing the new mugello BTW.[}:)]
irish john

Postby TheSeeker » 07 Jan 2008 22:49

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by irish john</i>

You could also run it on the standard carb and pipe, but not a lot of point in that really.

Yes, it's an Li150. The seller, Jean sent me a link to a chat board for Belgian scooterists http://scootentole.org. I've lurked a bit but my written french is too bad to make any useful comments.

The good thing is that it didn't come with a pipe or carb so I have a good excuse to experiment with something more cool. The only trouble is when the large packages get delivered at home and I have to explain why I need to pay Fed Ex for the EU import duties from Vietnam [B)]

I used to have a giant Delorto on my Vespa PX back in Wales. But even though it looked good it wasn't setup well and plus you couldn't ride with the right side panel on. It drank so much petrol that I could only ride around petrol stations with the pump hose still in the tank [:)]

TheSeeker

Postby TheSeeker » 07 Jan 2008 22:50

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kurt</i>

A punch down tool or suitable metal drift mostly does the trick.
But leave the piston partly supported in the barrel for this.
Move the barrel just enough to make for the pin to come out. It only comes out one way then, knock it from the exhaust side.

Hi Kurt

Thanks for the tip, I'll start looking for something to use as a drift.

Best regards

Ben

TheSeeker

Postby irish john » 08 Jan 2008 15:54

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TheSeeker</i>

The only trouble is when the large packages get delivered at home and I have to explain why I need to pay Fed Ex for the EU import duties from Vietnam [B)]

I used to have a giant Delorto on my Vespa PX back in Wales. But even though it looked good it wasn't setup well and plus you couldn't ride with the right side panel on. It drank so much petrol that I could only ride around petrol stations with the pump hose still in the tank [:)]

I also have one of those anti mail order devices at home, sometimes things mysteriously turn up at my mates address instead!![;)]

I have an Imola 185 set up really well with a clubman, it can use less fuel than a vespa 200 over the same distance while travelling faster.
If you stick to a dellorto 28mm i can get you jetted up correctly, or a least very close to perfect, there are a lot of mugello's running this set up so lots of info available. I wouldn't use one of those PWK type carbs, i have not been able to set one up nicely on a Bretta, but on a vespa they seem to work well.
irish john

Postby TheSeeker » 10 Jan 2008 18:37

Thanks to Kurts tip about the gudgeon pin I've made some more progress today. Indeed it tapped out very easily using a socket extension bar as a drift.

Sorry for the all the pictures but this is really exciting stuff! (for a non-grease monkey like me at least).

Ben

TheSeeker

Postby kurt » 11 Jan 2008 02:53

Nice pic's; the piston is a little touched, seems like a small heatsize or oil-shortage to me.
Otherwise a clean engine.
Those photos may come in handy when back on assembling [:)]
kurt

Next

Return to Technical (not specified)